Summertime brings with it the need for specific makeup products to get us through blistering days, light rainfalls, and devilish humidity. Let us share with you some of the fantastic products that are popping up in the cosmetic industry and will change the way you look and feel during the summer months.
1. The No-Makeup Look
Nothing is so beautiful as a woman in full makeup that looks completely natural. Makeup artists are leaning more than ever on the less is more bandwagon. The focus is on the wearer’s features, the eyes, the lips, the eyebrows, and lashes. The complexion is enhanced as needed, and the products used are light, easily matched to skin tones, and create a fresh and flawless finish. Some of the most popular brands used to get this type of look include:
- Bare Minerals Original Loose Powder Foundation
- Fit Me Loose Finishing Powder by Maybelline
- Radiant Creamy Concealer by Nars
- Tatcha Silk Canvas Primer (used by Meghan Markle’s makeup artist)
2. Sunscreen – A Necessity
Sun protection is not debatable. Sunscreen keeps your skin from absorbing UVA and UVB rays that can foster fine lines on the skin and cause skin cancer in the worst case scenario. The most effective sunscreens take care of these potential problems well.
According to Consumer Reports, you must choose your sunscreen based on their SPF levels, or sun protection factors. The report includes sunscreens that passed the SPF ratings and were affordable:
- Equate (Walmart) Ultra Lotion SPF 50
- No-Ad Sport Continuous Spray SPF 30
- Solimo (Amazon) General Protection Lotion SPF 50
3. Foundation with Sunscreen Protection Included
For those of us who get in a hurry and forget to apply our sunscreen occasionally, not to worry. There are foundations available that are SPF-infused. And, we’re not talking about those pancake formulas of the past. This class of lightweight foundation is lightweight and includes additional benefits for your skin.
- AmorePacific Cushion Compact – blurs wrinkles and lines
- Yves Saint Laurent’s All Hours Foundation – filled with pollution-fighting antioxidants
- Philosophy’s Hope in a Jar Foundation – SPF 20 – gives skin a refreshed, luminous look
4. Bright Eyes are In
You may have noticed that neon, sparkle, and cat-eye liners are on every catwalk this seasons. This summer, almost anything goes when it comes to eye makeup. Eyebrows, for example, are now more natural and untamed. Runways were overflowing with eyebrows that were brushed upward, lightly penciled with an application of brow gel. Eyebrows are now a focal point with which to be reckoned. Products to help achieve this look include:
- Maybelline’s Brow Precise
- Glossier’s Boy Brow
- Too Faced Brow Quickie
The fun begins when eye shadow, mascara, and liner comes into the picture. Makeup companies and artists decided to make a statement that was both fun-loving and, in some cases, shocking. Winged eyeliner was back from the 50s, along with glittery and metallic eyeshadow, and even jewels. Never before seen colors were used in eyeshadows, such as baby blue, pastel blue, and yellow. Sephora has come out with an eyeshadow palette of bold and unexpected colors.
- Anastasia Beverly Hill’s Riviera Palette
- Stila’s After Hours Eyeshadow Palette
- Too Faced Natural Lust Palette
5. The Lips Have It
Lip color trends for the summer are all over the place. There are lipsticks, gels, stains, and glosses of every color and shade. “The more daring, the better,” scream the new shades. There appears to be no end to the color choices available in the lip-covering arena:
- Bobbie Brown Crushed Liquid Lipstick in Big Apple (You have to see it to believe it.)
- Lancôme L’Absolu Mademoiselle Shine Lipstick in Shine Your Way
- NYX Cosmeticsxaquaria Color Palette
What better time than summer for sun, fun, and rocking your makeup choices. You don’t have to dive into the pool. Just take a short dip in the shallow end, and enjoy yourself.