In the past few decades, the word “outsource” has taken on epic connotations, from job loss to bad customer service. But there is an aspect to outsourcing that can actually be good for the economy.
The word of the day is “concierge,” and we’re not just talking about fancy hotels anymore. For a fee, you can find people to do pretty much every task that is wearing you down, from personal shoppers, to dog walkers, to somebody to finally organize your closet.
Okay, so you may not be a Fortune 500 executive with tons of money to throw around on a personal masseuse for Tofu the Chihuahua, but there are plenty of opportunities to lower your stress levels significantly by hiring an outside contractor.
So what kind of things can you outsource to make your life easier?
- Can I Hire Someone to Organize My Garage? Yup! There are services for hire that will pre-screen contractors who can install organizational systems so you can finally use your garage for, you know, parking your car.
- Can I Hire Someone to Do My Grocery Shopping? Depending on where you live, you can hire personal shoppers to fill your grocery list from stores in your area. Or if you are not in an area covered by personal shoppers, there are online services that will send organic produce or meats to your home or office.
- Can I Hire Someone to Homeschool My Kids? Love the idea of a personalized education for the tots, but can’t get past that pesky day job to home-school? There’s a service for that, too.
- Can I Hire Someone to Care for Grandma? Whether it’s home health or transportation assistance, there are many services which provide as much or as little attention as your elderly family member may need.
- Can I Hire Someone to Whip My Flabby Self into Shape? If you are long on healthy ambitions, but short on follow-through, there are numerous professionals out there willing to motivate you for a fee.
So, you don’t need to run a multi-zillion dollar corporation to enjoy the benefits of outsourcing. By farming out tasks you’d rather not do, you both help the economy (by employing independent contractors) and free up your time and energy to focus on what really matters in your life.
Editor’s Note: Having quality blog content written for you is one of the smartest things you can do for your business. I do it, and I’m in the blogging business! If you want to learn more about outsourcing, contact us. But, just a reminder–if you hire a personal trainer, you still have to do your own exercise! Haven’t found a way to outsource that…yet… (For more on this series, see this post.) — Scott