If you’re a small business owner, your to-do list is probably damn long. And if you’re reading this, you’re probably wondering whether business blogging belongs on your list and, if so, where.
In this post, I’ll walk you through the basics so you can answer the following for yourself:
- What is a business blog?
- Do I need a blog? What are the benefits?
- How do I get started?
Let’s jump in.
What is a Business Blog?
A business blog is a collection of articles located on a business’s website. It is designed to showcase the business’s views, brand, and products, create a connection with customers and prospects, and increase online visibility through search engine optimization (SEO).
Much like a personal blog, a business blog helps a company tell its story, provide insights into what it does, stands for, and believes, gives insights into what’s happening ‘behind the scenes’, and provides value for readers who are interested in learning about the industry or area in which your business has expertise.
Whether we’re talking about personal blogging or business blogging, a good blog sits at the intersection of insights and topics important to you and what your readers will care about learning.
Much like in social media, readers aren’t going to care much about what you had for breakfast this morning or that your business ordered new whiteboard markers today, but they may care very much about how you’ve hired a new person to improve customer care or that you’ve distilled your years of experience fixing air conditioning units and created “The 5 Ways Texans Can Keep Air Conditioners Working Longer and Better.”
Do I Need a Business Blog? What are the Benefits of Business Blogging?
You do. And you should do it lots! The end.
Not all businesses NEED a blog, but they can be darn helpful.
Here’s how to tell if your business could benefit from having a business blog:
- If your business has a website that your customers and prospects will likely visit, a blog can be an integral part of this site. If you don’t have a website or it’s not customer/prospect-facing, a blog may be less useful.
- If you would like prospective customers to be able to find you online, a blog can help increase your online visibility and help prospects find your website. Each post/article you add to your archive, you increase your digital reach and footprint.
- If you would like to increase trust with website visitors, a blog can show folks visiting your website that there is real thought and smart people behind your company, that you have something to say, and/or that your website is up-to-date and can be trusted.
- If your products or services could use some explaining, or can be used by different customers in different ways, a business blog can help give context around product features and benefits or provide context to prospective customers about how they might alleviate their pain points by engaging your company.
- If you have something to say that can add value to prospective customers, a blog can help you give free information that adds value to people who might benefit from what you’re selling down the road. This value can translate into increased trust and more likelihood to buy on a more long-term timeline.
Businesses can use blogs for many different reasons, but they all come down to better serving your prospects and customers—by providing free, valuable information, by explaining your offerings, by conveying trust, and by showing that your business has something to say.
If you’d like to dig in more on why you should have a blog for your business, we dive into more details here.
How Do I Get Started?
Starting a business blog can seem incredibly overwhelming. The resources below will help get you started one step at a time.
As you start your business blogging journey, remember to:
- write about what will add value to prospects and customers
- write consistently
- share things about your business that matter to you
And if you need some help along the way, keep in mind Verblio (formerly BlogMutt) can help you create high-quality blog posts for your business blog to make your path to business blogging superstardom a whole lot more manageable, and allowing you to keep up with the rest of that to-do list. Good luck!
Resources For Starting a Business Blog:
- How To Start A Blog 12-Month Checklist
- The 15 Best Tools For Starting A Business Blog
- How To Set Up A Blog
- How To Write A Good Blog
- The first installment of BlogMutt’s “How To Start A Blog” Challenge
- 5 Reasons Why Business Blogs Work, Even Though No One’s Reading Yours
- The 7 Deadly Sins Of Business Blogging
- What We Learned From Identifying BlogMutt’s Most Successful Blog Posts
(For even more, take a stroll through our archives of business blogging tips.)